|Scott Heckert heads to Greenville Pickens (S.C.) Speedway after winning |
the last two NASCAR K&N Pro Series East events.
(Grant Halverson/Getty Images for NASCAR)
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. – The NASCAR K&N Pro Series East returns to Greenville (South Carolina) Pickens Speedway on Saturday, Sept. 6 for the Greenville 140, the season’s 15th of 16 events. Below is a look at the performance of the series and selected drivers at Greenville, as well as some other statistical trends:
Greenville Race Setup
- Ben Rhodes can clinch the NASCAR K&N Pro Series East title with a 13th-place finish or better in the Greenville 140. Rhodes currently has a 65-point advantage over Cameron Hayley in the championship standings.
- Ben Rhodes and Sergio Peña are part of an impressive list of NASCAR K&N Pro Series East winners at Greenville that includes Austin Dillon, Dylan Kwasniewski, Joey Logano and Darrell Wallace Jr., who is the only multi-time series winner at the track.
- Scott Heckert enters the weekend with two consecutive wins in the K&N Pro Series East. He is the third driver this season to have a streak of back-to-back wins, joining Daniel Daniel Suárez and Turner Scott Motorsport teammate Ben Rhodes.
- Track position is critical in short-track racing, and Greenville is no exception. The average starting position for the 12 race winners is 2.99.
Greenville Pickens Speedway
- Opened on July 4, 1946 as a dirt track. The race surface was converted to asphalt in April, 1970.
- Held 29 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series races from 1951-71, including the first flag-to-flag televised event.
- David Pearson (1959) and Ralph Earnhardt (1965, 66) are among the famed drivers that have won championships at the track.
- Junior Miller won a pair of NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour races at Greenville in the 2006-07 seasons.
- This is the series’ 13th visit to the historic South Carolina track.
- The NASCAR K&N Pro Series East held its inaugural Greenville Pickens Speedway race on June 6, 2006 and has returned every year since. This is the fourth straight season that the track has held two events.
- Dylan Kwasniewski took the checkered flag in this event last year while Ben Rhodes won in the series' first visit to the track earlier this year. Darrell Wallace Jr. is the only driver in the first 12 races at GPS to earn two victories.
- In the first 12 NKNPS East events there have been four drivers that have won from the pole: Joey Logano (2007), Moffitt (2011) and Kwasniewski (2013) and Rhodes (2014). Moffitt also set the track qualifying record in 2011.
- Logano, Austin Dillon (2008), Gdovic (2013), Wallace (2010) and Rhodes (2014) earned their first career NKNPS East wins in events at Greenville.
- The most cautions for a K&N East race at Greenville is 13 on two occasions (2006, 2010) while the fewest is one in the September 2013 race. The most caution laps (79) came in the inaugural 2006 race while the fewest was eight in September 2013.
- In 12 races the lead has changed hands an average of 3.59 times with a high of eight changes in 2009.
- The average starting position for the winner is 2.99 while the pole sitter has an average finish of 5.99.