Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series (MENCS) Goodyear Tire Test At Las Vegas Motor Speedway on January 11th and 12th.
NASCAR MENCS Drivers, Jamie McMurray (Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates No. 1 Chevrolet), Chase Elliott (Hendrick Motorsports No. 24 Chevrolet), Joey Logano (Team Penske No. 22 Ford) and Matt Kenseth (Joe Gibbs Racing No. 20 Toyota) participated in the season's first Goodyear tire test on January 10-11 at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.
"It's fun to come out and test, and I like coming to Vegas," said Matt Kenseth, the Kobalt 400 champion in 2003, 2004 and 2013. "It seems like everything has slowed down (on the track), which makes for better racing. I've always liked the race track, have had some good runs here and had some wins here. "It's a fun race track, a fun town and always a good environment, so I enjoy racing here."
Las Vegas, a 1.5-mile tri-oval, will host the season's third points race, the Kobalt 400, Sunday, March 12 (3:30 p.m. ET on FOX, PRN, SiriusXM NASCAR Radio).
Felt great to get back in the 22 for the tire test at LVMS today and make some laps. How many days till Daytona? pic.twitter.com/TzlZU4Bedq— Joey Logano (@joeylogano) January 12, 2017
The test at the 1.5-mile track is the first of seven Goodyear has scheduled at this point, with six specifically for the Cup Series.
- – Las Vegas Motor Speedway: Jan. 10-11
- – Michigan International Speedway: April 4-5
- – Indianapolis Motor Speedway: April 25-26
- – Kentucky Speedway: May 9-10
- – Eldora Speedway (Trucks): May 15-16
- – Chicagoland Speedway: June 6-7
- – Atlanta Motor Speedway: Aug. 8-9
Chase Elliott got a lot out of the two-day session. "It's felt really good to get back going again," said Elliott, the 2016 NASCAR Rookie of the Year. "The time that passes between the last race and the first time you get back in a car seems like a long time. So, it's good to get back in, get acclimated and try to sharpen up your skills.
"This is a good place to do it, and it's similar to a lot of tracks we'll go to this season, so it's helpful in a lot of ways. Goodyear has been really good with how they've approached the test, and of all the tests I've done with them, this is as aggressive as I've seen them with making changes and trying new things with the tire. I think that's encouraging, and I hope they can take the data and try to help us provide some better racing down the road."
- 2016 #NASCAR Sunoco Rookie Of The Year Winners
- Toyota Wins First NASCAR Premier Series Manufacturer Championship
- What You Need to Know about the #NASCAR Sprint Cup Chase
- The Goodyear “Fan Favorite” #NASCAR Sweepstakes
- Goodyear and Walmart Collaborate to Support Troops (#nascar)