Sept. 30-Oct. 2 NASCAR Tripleheader Weekend
Dover International Speedway’s Sept. 30-Oct. 2 NASCAR tripleheader weekend will be filled with patriotic displays, American pride and special guests as the Monster Mile caps its 2016 racing season with the “Citizen Soldier 400” NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race on Sunday, Oct. 2.
“NASCAR, its team owners, drivers and especially the fans, are fiercely patriotic and we are ready to celebrate that here at the Monster Mile,” said Mike Tatoian, Dover International Speedway’s president and CEO. “Dover hosted perhaps the most patriotic NASCAR event in history after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks in 2001, 15 years ago, and we want that same spirit to be back in the grandstands and around the track this weekend.”
Among the displays and appearances planned for the Sept. 30-Oct. 2 NASCAR tripleheader weekend are:
- • Retired Maj. Gen. Gus Hargett, the chief executive officer of the National Guard Association of the United States and former Tennessee Army National Guard Adjutant, will serve as the honorary pace car driver for the “Citizen Soldier 400” NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race. The film “Citizen Soldier” follows an Oklahoma National Guard unit during its deployment to Afghanistan in 2011.
- • Wendy Anderson, who recently served as deputy chief of staff to Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel, is an executive producer of “Citizen Soldier,” and will also attend Sunday’s race.
- • More than two dozen people will participate in an oath of enlistment ceremony for the U.S. Air Force and National Guard on the track prior to the “Citizen Soldier 400.”
- • The USO Show Troupe will perform during pre-race ceremonies on Sunday.
- • Two F-16 fighter jets from the 149th Fighter Wing of the Texas Air National Guard will perform the traditional flyover prior to Sunday’s race.
- • Delaware Air National Guard members will hold American flags in every pit stall during pre-race ceremonies on Sunday.
- • The USO Military Village in the FanZone outside the frontstretch grandstands will feature exhibits, vehicles and table demonstrations from several service branches throughout the weekend. A Blackhawk Army helicopter and a U.S. Coast Guard MH-65 helicopter are among the vehicles set to appear.
- • A 30-foot by 60-foot American flag will be raised in the infield during the signing of the national anthem on Sunday. Country music star Easton Corbin will perform the anthem.
- • Even red, white and blue confetti will be launched in Sunoco Victory Lane during the post-race celebration for the “Citizen Soldier 400” winner.
The Sept. 30-Oct. 2 NASCAR tripleheader weekend also includes the “Drive Sober 200” presented by the Delaware Office of Highway Safety NASCAR XFINITY Series race on Saturday, Oct. 1 and the Dover 125 NASCAR K&N Pro Series East race on Friday, Sept. 30.
For tickets or more information, call 800‐441‐RACE or visit DoverSpeedway.com. You can also keep up with the Monster Mile at Facebook.com/DoverInternationalSpeedway, or on Twitter at @MonsterMile and Instagram at @MonsterMile.