Returns To Racing Eleven Weeks After Brain Surgery
Matt Tifft returned to the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series on Friday in the No. 32 Red Horse Racing Toyota after a 10-week hiatus while recovering from brain surgery. The NASCAR Next member tested at Hickory Motor Speedway on Monday and has been sharpening his skills with a race simulator.
Nineteen-year-old Tifft recorded a twelfth-place finish in the American Ethanol E15 225 after starting eleventh on the grid. Not bad for his first race back since undergoing brain surgery on July 1 to remove a grade two Diffuse Astrocytoma or Glioma in his brain.
"Going the high speeds and going into the banking of a track like Chicagoland in a Truck Series event, it's totally different than what you can prepare for on a short track. A lot of fun but also I had to be on my game just like any other driver has to be. It takes a lap or two for you to get used to it and I think by the second run out there we were running competitive times again. Tifft stated before the race. But, definitely, was soaking it in going around the first couple of laps."
Matt Tifft is a college student and race car driver from Hinckley, Ohio. He currently attends UNC-Charlotte as a business major. He has followed racing for most of his life and is a devoted race fan, especially of NASCAR. He grew up attending many dirt late model stock car races with his father’s team, primarily in Michigan.
Felt great to race again though. Much rather would be frustrated at the racetrack than the last few months!!— Matt Tifft (@Matt_Tifft) September 17, 2016
- Date of Birth: June 26, 1996 (19)
- Height: 6’1″
- Weight: 160 lbs.
- Hometown: Hinckley, Ohio
- Siblings: Morgan (15) Maggie (13)
- Favorite Track: Rockingham Speedway
- Favorite cars to drive: Dirt Super Late Models
- Greatest achievements in racing: Pole at Talladega in the NASCAR XFinity Series
- Teams: Joe Gibbs Racing, Red Horse Racing, Venturini Motorsports
- Sponsors: NOS Energy Drink; IMC Marks™; Judge, Lauric & Pahoresky Certified Public Accountant’s; Proximity Marketing
- #NASCAR Schedule for Sprint Cup, Xfinity, & Truck Series
- What You Need to Know about the #NASCAR Camping World Truck Series
- Andy Lally’s Guinness World Record Attempt
- Nemechek vs. Custer - Aggression vs. Skill
- William Byron – The Dominance Continues (#nascar)