Kyle Larson posted the fastest lap, turning it in 26.586 seconds at the 1-mile venue. But Joey Logano, who had the second-fastest overall lap (26.595), was the fastest for the most laps — recording 19 of the fastest 22 lap times in the opening morning session.
Earnhardt, the driver of the No. 88 Hendrick Motorsports Chevrolet, missed the last half of last season because of a concussion. He was cleared by NASCAR to return behind the wheel after a December test at Darlington Raceway, and Tuesday marked another important step on his comeback trail.
Earnhardt has repeatedly said that he is ready to go full throttle for the season-opening Daytona 500 on Feb. 26, which will be televised live on FOX. He was fifth-fastest in the opening test session at Phoenix, turning a lap in 26.807 seconds.
Also in attendance Tuesday at PIR was Carl Edwards, who recently shocked the racing world by announcing that he was stepping away from NASCAR. He was on hand to help his replacement in the No. 19 Joe Gibbs Racing Toyota, Daniel Suarez, navigate his first Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series test.
Suarez’s top lap in the opening session ranked 14th on the speed chart, so there obviously is work to do.
The unofficial top lap speeds of the participants in the opening session of the Phoenix test on Tuesday were as follows:
- Kyle Larson (Chip Ganassi Racing) — 26.586 seconds
- Joey Logano (Team Penske) — 26.595
- Kevin Harvick (Stewart-Haas Racing) — 26.774
- Ryan Blaney (Wood Brothers Racing) — 26.799
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. (Hendrick Motorsports) — 26.807
- Aric Almirola (Richard Petty Motorsports) — 26.845
- Ricky Stenhouse Jr. (Roush Fenway Racing) — 26.854
- Austin Dillon (Richard Childress Racing) — 26.876
- AJ Allmendinger (JTG Daugherty Racing) — 26.896
- Erik Jones (Furniture Row Racing) — 26.898
- Michael McDowell (Leavine Family Racing) — 26.965
- Ty Dillon (Germain) — 26.976
- Alex Bowman (Chevy wheel force) — 27.027
- Daniel Suarez (Joe Gibbs Racing) — 27.125
- JJ Yeley (Toyota wheel force) — 27.186
It has been a fun week at the track! We are already counting down the days until the cars are back! 😎 #WinningSpringBreak https://t.co/htdVJj6Xwk— Phoenix Raceway (@PhoenixRaceway) February 2, 2017
First time in the car for 2017. Test is going pretty good so far. @Target @CreditOneBank pic.twitter.com/Gl1oeXz9Cj— Kyle Larson (@KyleLarsonRacin) January 31, 2017
2 days testing @PhoenixRaceway complete. @nationwide88 gang got a lot of work done. Car was awesome to drive! One step closer to @DISupdates— Dale Earnhardt Jr. (@DaleJr) February 2, 2017
- Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series Organizational Test At Phoenix International Raceway
- Stewart-Haas Racing Unveils 2017 #NASCAR Ford Performance Fusions
- Lucas Oil Chili Bowl Nationals Claims a New Event High Driver Count
- Cars for a Cause: Two Earnhardt Rides Up for Auction
- Logano Wins Phoenix - Homestead Bound!