BMR Teammates Chris Eggleston and Todd Gilliland Are the Drivers to Watch
Just five days after kicking off the 2017 season at Tucson Speedway, NASCAR K&N Pro Series West teams will be put to the test with three races in a three-day span to close out the NAPA 500 Challenge series.
Today, the series will compete at the Kern County Raceway Park in Bakersfield, California, for the ‘NAPA Auto Parts 150.’
The maximum starting field is twenty-six (26) cars, including provisionals. The first twenty-two (22) cars will secure starting positions based on the group qualifying process. The remaining four spots will be awarded through the provisional process.
The NAPA Auto Parts 150 will be 150 laps (75 miles) with a five-minute break occurring at or near the conclusion of lap seventy-five.
The two most recent champions in the K&N Pro Series West, Bill McAnally Racing teammates Chris Eggleston and Todd Gilliland, were the class of the field in the season-opening event at Tucson Speedway.
Epic battle between @BMR_NASCAR teammates @ToddGilliland_ @chriseggleston_ @NAPARacing @NAPAKnowHow @MrsDGilly @DavidGilliland pic.twitter.com/ZtbAz5u1bo— Sal Sigala Jr. (@Sal_Sigala) March 21, 2017
Eggleston was fastest in practice, Gilliland won the pole and the two drivers started on the front row, led all the laps and were running first and second at the checkered flag. Teammate Derek Kraus finished sixth. As they head into the three events this week, history is also on their side. Of all active drivers in the series, only Eggleston (Kern) and Gilliland (Kern, Irwindale) have wins at either of the two tracks.
Chris Eggleston (No. 99 NAPA Filters Toyota)
- Has six career K&N West wins with 20 top fives and 23 top 10s in 32 career starts.
- Was the 2015 series champion as a rookie for Bill McAnally Racing.
- Won the season opener at Tucson after leading a race-high 80 laps.
- Has finished fifth in each of his two career starts at Kern, where he’s never started worse than third.
- Has one career win at Irwindale in two starts, having finished third at the track last year.
Todd Gilliland (No. 16 NAPA Auto Parts Toyota)
- Won six of 14 races last season with 11 top fives and 13 top 10s en route to the K&N West championship, becoming the youngest champion in NASCAR touring series history at 16 years, five months, and joined his grandfather Butch Gilliland as a K&N West champion (1997).
- Finished second in the season opener at Tucson.
- Won the pole and the race last season in his only career start at Kern.
- Also won the pole and the race last season in his only career start at Irwindale.
- Plans to run both the K&N West and K&N East schedules in 2017.
NAPA Auto Parts 150
- PLACE: Kern County Raceway Park, Bakersfield, California
- DATE: Thursday, March 23
- TIME: 7:45 p.m. PT/10:45 p.m. ET
- AIRDATE: Tuesday, March 28 at 7 p.m. ET/4 p.m. PT
- TRACK LAYOUT: .500-mile banked asphalt oval
- 2016 WINNER: Todd Gilliland
- 2016 POLE WINNER: Todd Gilliland
- Thursday, March 23
- Garage opens: 11 a.m.
- Practice: 2-3:30 p.m.
- Group qualifying: 4 p.m.
- Driver autograph session: 6:15 p.m.
- NAPA Auto Parts 150: 7:45 p.m.
The series will move on to the Irwindale Speedway in Irwindale, California, for the NAPA Auto Parts Twin 100s on Saturday, March 25.
- Jeffrey Earnhardt Welcomes K1 Speed Karting Partnership
- McDowell and Leavine Family Racing Unveil Special Paint Scheme
- #NASCAR and Saving Lives
- K&N Pro Series West Heads To Kern For Special Thursday Event
- RCR Celebrating Ryan's Win with Free Shipping for Fans