Jeff Gordon will make his 800th career start – and his third consecutive race in place of Dale Earnhardt Jr. – in Sunday’s Cheez-It 355 at The Glen.
Gordon will be the ninth driver to make his 800th start, joining: Richard Petty (1,185), Ricky Rudd (906), Terry Labonte (890), Dave Marcis (883), Mark Martin (882), Kyle Petty (829), Bill Elliott (828) and Darrell Waltrip (809).
A win on Sunday would tie Gordon with Tony Stewart for the Watkins Glen track record for victories with five. In 23 starts at the Central New York road course, he claims four wins, six top fives and nine top 10s. The Hendrick Motorsports driver is NASCAR’s all-time leader in road-course wins with nine.
Following Watkins Glen, Gordon will make at least one more start for Earnhardt, at Bristol. Gordon has placed 13th at Indianapolis and 27th at Pocono as a sub for Earnhardt the last two races.
- Jeff Gordon leads the series in starts at Watkins Glen with twenty-three
- 20 drivers have Coors Light poles at Watkins Glen, led by NASCAR Hall of Famer Dale Earnhardt, Mark Martin and Jeff Gordon with three each
- 20 different drivers have won at Watkins Glen International in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series, led by Tony Stewart with five wins; followed by Jeff Gordon with four.
- Jeff Gordon leads the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series in road course wins with nine (Sonoma, five; Watkins Glen, four)
- Jeff Gordon has consecutive wins at Watkins Glen (1997, ’98, ‘99).
- Jeff Gordon leads the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series in laps led at Watkins Glen with 262 laps led in 23 starts.
- Jeff Gordon, Interim #NASCAR Driver, No. 88 Axalta Chevrolet SS Has Plenty to Say
- Jeff Gordon To Fill In For EarnhardtAt The Brickyard
- Gordon Reflects on His First Year in the NASCAR on FOX Sports Broadcast Booth
- Jeff Gordon - The Fundraising Campaign
- Jeff Gordon, Matt Kenseth Headline Club 7 Hospitality