William Byron Takes Pole for 49th Annual Snowball Derby
Kyle Busch Motorsports (KBM) Driver On Top
The full-time NASCAR driver, William Byron successfully headed to his pits as the official polesitter for the 49th annual Snowball Derby on Sunday. Byron, a seven-time winner in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series this year, stood head and shoulders above a group of 56 other cars in short-track racing’s most exciting two laps.
“It’s a good feeling. I was just hoping we could get through ‘tech’ and celebrate,” Byron said with a smile on his face. “This was just a great job done by this team and I’m looking forward to the rest of the weekend.”
Byron, a Charlotte, N.C., area driver, posted a fast lap of 16.201 seconds, which was less than a tenth off the track record that was set by Ty Majeski at last year’s Snowball Derby.
The last driver to win the Derby from the pole came in 2005 when local hero Eddie Mercer ended his long quest and finally hoisted the Tom Dawson trophy.
Although engine issues dropped him out of the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series (NCWTS) chase; Byron started the last race of the 2016 season from the pole for the second-consecutive week. He pulled away from the field for the final 10 laps and crossed the finish line 2.175 seconds ahead of his closest competitor. It will be exciting to see if his hot streak survives this Short Track challenge.
The win gave KBM its fourth consecutive and fifth all-time NCWTS owner championship. KBM is the first team in NCWTS history to win four-consecutive owner championships and has the most owner titles of any other team.
Use #SnowballDerby to Follow & Interact About Snowball Derby
49th Annual Snowball Derby
Qualifying Results for the Top 30
- Friday at Five Flags Speedway
- Track Record—16.120 (Ty Majeski, Derby 2015)
- 9B William Byron, Charlotte, NC, 16.201
- 91 Ty Majeski, Seymour, WI, 16.241
- 29 Spencer Davis, Dawsonville, GA, 16.247
- 26 Bubba Pollard, Senoia, GA, 16.257
- 4 Kyle Plott, Marietta, GA, 16.282
- 51 Christopher Bell, Norman, OK, 16.308
- 5G Noah Gragson, Las Vegas, 16.318
- 7 Casey Roderick, Lawrenceville, GA, 16.319
- 07 Corey Lajoie, Cornelius, NC, 16.326
- 97 Cole Anderson, Northfield, MN, 16.327
- 3 Kaz Grala, Westbrough, MA, 16.363
- 15 Christian Eckes, Cornelius, NC, 16.366
- 9 Jeff Choquette, West Palm Beach, 16.394
- 14 Chris Davidson, Pearland, TX, 16.403
- 67 Clay Jones, Mooresville, NC, 16.404
- 16 Brandon McReynolds, Mooresville, NC, 16.417
- 12 Harrison Burton, Huntersville, NC, 16.425
- 43T Derek Thorn, Bakersfield, CA, 16.429
- 5 Jerry Artuso, Sault Ste Marie, ONT, 16.433
- 8 John Hunter Nemechek, Mooresville, NC, 16.442
- 98 Daniel Hemric, Mooresville, NC, 16.446
- 42 Chad Finley, Dewitt, MI, 16.448
- 2W Donnie Wilson, OKC, OK, 16.451
- 83 Scotty Ellis, Forsyth, GA, 16.457
- 77 Zane Smith, Huntington Beach, CA, 16.460
- 26S Chandler Smith, Jasper, GA, 16.468
- 99 Casey Smith, Austin, TX, 16.472
- 82 Grant Enfinger, Montrose, AL, 16.474
- 112 Augie Grill, Hayden, AL, 16.484
- 01 Derek Scott, Franklin, TX, 16.496
The fastest thirty times will be locked into the feature. The remaining cars will run in a Qualifying Race, with the top four finishers advancing to the feature.
- Monster Energy To Sponsor NASCAR's Top Series Starting In 2017
- The 49th Snowball Derby Past Winners
- Short Track Champions and Winners Make Up Deep Snowball Field
- 49th Annual Snowball Derby Entry List
- 49th Annual Snowball Derby Live