Edwards Sweeps The NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Road Race Poles
The 2.45-mile Watkins Glen road course was repaved earlier this year. Couple that with a heavy rain and you have a green track. The qualifying session was even more unusual, with no practice on Saturday, just two rounds of qualifying and rock-hard tires that only got faster with more laps.
None of that detoured the #19 Stanley Joe Gibbs car of Carl Edwards. He took pole position for the start of today’s race, by winning his record-high fourth Coors Light Pole Award of the season and the twentieth of his career. Edwards also completed a sweep of road course poles in 2016. He started first on the grid at Sonoma Raceway in June.
"I think is going to be a little bit of an adventure," said Edwards, "The new pavement, nobody knows how that's going to go along deep into the runs with tire build-up. I think the braking zones are pretty tough, and it's going to be nice and warm.
"So, just got to stay upfront, can't make any mistakes. I love road races. They're so much fun. I got to talk to Boris Said, who's basically my road racing coach to start, so that was cool today. Hopefully, tonight I'll get me some good rest and hopefully be very competitive tomorrow."
Even though Edwards' No. 19 Camry was fastest in qualifying; he expects stiff competition on Sunday from his Toyota brethren.
Yes!! Pole for #CarlEdwards & @StanleyRacing! One happy driver & team. #NASCAR pic.twitter.com/Ss9eoegny0— Joe Gibbs Racing (@JoeGibbsRacing) August 6, 2016
Carl Edwards (No. 19 Joe Gibbs Racing Toyota Camry)
- · Five top fives, eight top 10s; one pole
- · Average finish of 8.364, second-best
- · Average Running Position of 12.241, fourth-best
- · Driver Rating of 95.1, sixth-best
- · 21 Fastest Laps Run, 12th-best
- · Average Green Flag Speed of 120.067, seventh-fastest
- · 723 Laps in the Top 15 (72.7), fourth-most
- · 216 Quality Passes, second-most
- Wallace, Edwards, Biffle Set to Appear
- 'Concrete Carl' Edwards
- Edwards, Kahne, McMurray, Stenhouse to join Autism Awareness Day at the Races
- Carl Edwards Eyes Third Straight Victory