Team Penske Has Scored a Sprint Cup Series Victory
Every Year Since 1991.
Brad Keselowski's victory in Saturday night's 'Coke Zero 400 Powered by Coca-Cola' marked the 100th NASCAR Sprint Cup Series win for legendary team owner Roger Penske. Coincidentally, the organization is celebrating its 50th anniversary this year.
Will win number 101 be in the near future . . . well the No. 2 Ford driver’s 117.8 driver rating at Kentucky is the second-best among active drivers. On the season, Keselowski claims seven top fives and 11 top 10s in 17 starts.
Here are some interesting tidbits, courtesy of Team Penske:
- In two of Team Penske's 100 wins, the winning driver led only one lap. Both times in 2015 with Brad Keselowski at Auto Club Speedway and Joey Logano at Watkins Glen.
- Fifteen of Team Penske's 100 wins have come from the pole position.
- Brad Keselowski dominated at Richmond International Raceway in 2014, leading 96 percent of the laps. That is the highest percentage of laps led by a winner in NASCAR Sprint Cup Series competition for Team Penske.
- Team Penske drivers have scored 12 wins at Bristol Motor Speedway, the most wins at a single track for the team. Rusty Wallace leads all Team Penske drivers with seven victories at the .533-mile track.
- Both Rusty Wallace and Kurt Busch won their first race with Team Penske at Bristol.
- The No. 2 for Team Penske has scored 64 victories. Rusty Wallace has 37, Brad Keselowski has 19 and Kurt Busch has eight.
- In Team Penske's 100 victories, winning drivers led 12,295 laps en route to Victory Lane.
- Rusty Wallace scored 10 victories in 1993, the most wins for a Team Penske driver in a single season of NASCAR Sprint Cup Series competition.
- In 2014, Brad Keselowski and Joey Logano teamed to score 11 victories, the most for Team Penske in a NASCAR Sprint Cup Series season.
- Rusty Wallace started 33rd at New Hampshire in 1993, the deepest a Team Penske driver has started and won.
- Team Penske's first NASCAR Sprint Cup Series win came in the 1973 Winston Western 500 at Riverside International Raceway with driver Mark Donohue.
- In addition to the familiar 2, 12 and 22 numbers for Team Penske, the team also fielded the No. 16 for NASCAR Hall of Famer Bobby Allison in the 1970s, with Allison scoring three of the car's four victories.
- Rusty Wallace and Joey Logano are the only drivers to win three races in a row for Team Penske. Wallace accomplished this twice, in 1993 winning Bristol, North Wilkesboro and Martinsville in succession, and in 1994 winning Dover, Pocono and Michigan. Logano accomplished this in 2015 by winning at Charlotte, Kansas, and Talladega in the Round of 12 of the Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup.
- Forty-nine of the 100 wins came with the winning driver starting within the top five.
- Team Penske has scored a Sprint Cup Series victory every year since 1991.